Kite's Nest is hiring!
Position: Lead Educator / Education Coordinator
Location: Hudson, NY
Kite's Nest is a center for liberatory education in Hudson, NY. It is our mission to create safe and supportive learning environments that nurture the confidence, skills, joy, and collective leadership of young people while building justice and equity in our communities. We provide innovative classes and programs that engage children and teenagers in creative expression and critical inquiry, while collaborating with a wide range of youth, families, and organizations to build local movements for social justice, food justice, and community wellness. We teach to provide much-needed spaces of hope, healing, and safety for youth to engage in relevant and joyful learning, to support young people in finding their own meaningful paths forward, and to contribute to radically positive personal, social and structural transformation.
Since 2012, Kite’s Nest has provided high-quality programs for children and teenagers during the day, after school, and throughout the summer. Our programs serve as a crucial supplement to school and provide an engaging afterschool/summer learning environment for many young people. In addition, Kite’s Nest is a part-time educational option for children who are homeschooled or who are not enrolled in a conventional school setting.
We are seeking a Lead Educator / Education Coordinator to join our learning community. This position can begin as either a part-time or full-time teaching opportunity. As a small and growing non-profit organization, there is significant room in this position for creativity, self-direction, leadership, and growth. A Kite’s Nest classroom requires flexibility, initiative, innovation and imagination; a desire to engage students in their own learning; an ability to work closely and collaboratively in a small organization and community.
- Designing and implementing interdisciplinary, project-based, and student-centered curricula for children and teenagers (ages 6 - 15)
- Working as Lead Educator in a small classroom environment 2-3 days per week, 9am - 3pm
- Working as Lead Educator during after-school programming 1-2 days per week for ages 6-13
- Overseeing and coordinating part-time and guest-teaching staff for a variety of classes and workshops.
- Participating in long-term pedagogical development, program and curricular design for the organization in collaboration with Kite’s Nest leadership staff and educators.
- Contributing to an organizational culture of mutual support and shared leadership.
Demonstrating professionalism and a commitment to excellence.
Ideal candidates will have:
- An approach to working with young people that aligns with the pedagogical principles of the Kite’s Nest learning environment. (kitesnest.org/our-learning-environment)
- Classroom management experience; the ability to facilitate healthy communication and critical thinking skills amongst students; an interest in supporting meaningful, student-centered learning.
- The ability to work in a multi-age classroom, simultaneously supporting a range of developmental levels
- The ability to work with openness across subjects and media as a co-learner and to collaborate with a range of educators and practitioners.
- A respect for children and an interest in supporting young people in developing their own passions and meaningful educational paths.
- A commitment to and passion for social justice inside and outside the classroom and an interest in thoughtfully engaging the unique social and political context of Hudson, NY.
- Flexibility and comfort working within a small non-profit organizational context.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and facility with various technologies.
This position ranges from 25-40 hours per week. Pay is commensurate with experience. Health and dental benefits are available for full-time position. Kite’s Nest is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, LGBTQ, and disabled candidates to apply. The position begins immediately or within two weeks of hiring.
To apply: Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Kite’s Nest, 108 South Front St. Hudson, NY 12534 by priority deadline, December 1st, 2016. Please send the following materials in a single PDF document:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Cover letter demonstrating your interest in the position and relevant experience.
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references.
- Optional: A sample of your work relevant to the position: websites, photos, writing, images, etc.